Thursday, February 18, 2010

What color should I paint my walls?

I'm having trouble on picking colors that will flow from room to room. I live in an apartment and would like to paint the walls. When you enter the foyer you can see the living room, kitchen and dining room. I would say my style is contemporary. I want the apartment to look chic and glam but classy and sophisticated at the same time. In the living room I have blue furniture (royal blue) with black and white accessories. For the kitchen I was thinking a bright green. I really like the ';Kelly Green'; I found on the HGTV website. Maybe, even an acid-green and bring in white and black accessories to tie it in with the living room. The apartment has white appliances, dark counter tops (corian I think?), light colored wood cabinets, and a medium color wood floor. Or, I would like to paint the kitchen red (I'm really open to anything). In the dining room I have a huge sunburst mirror with gold trim and I would like to design around that. I like gold and bronze colored walls but in the living room I have silver and black lamps and silver on the coffee table and side tables. I also don't know what to paint the living room walls. I was leaning towards a light gray but I don't think it will look good if I do green in the kitchen... HELP!What color should I paint my walls?
This is what I would suggest, starting with your kitchen. I would recommend a color from Sherwin William's color visualizer site. It is called ';eco green';. It is a cooler green so therefore will carry through on the cool color scheme for your apartment. It will match the living room choice of ';sleepy blue';. It is a light blue/gray that coordinated with the silver and black already in your living room. Next comes the dining room. I would recommend a warm white for this room. It will still go with your mirror and kitchen and living room colors. Good luck. Your apartment will look wonderful. You have a good sense of style and what goes and doesn't go together.What color should I paint my walls?
play around with the Sherwin Williams color visualizer to find something that you like. It is the best paint visualizer on the web, imho. I like how their color palette is laid out, I like that you can search by color family %26amp; color name, the ';painted'; rooms look the most realistic, and it suggests coordinating color schemes. You can literally spend hours:


http://www.sherwin.com/visualizer/





I think ';soft apricot'; (# 6352) would coordinate beautifully with the blue %26amp; the green that you describe. Check it out.
Add some ';acid green'; accents to your living room and paint the kitchen that color (with some royal blue accents) to tie it into the living room. Paint the living room a very light shade of that same green. I would stick with silver or gold. Although I know they can be mixed, I don't like that look.
cream
Go to HomeDepot and take home with you as many colour samples as you like, put them down on tha kitchen table and have a 'brainstorming meeting'; with everyone involved and living in the house. Try to start with one or two palletes that you find there and than expand the shades. Don't be afraid to go with darker colours, they don't look to dark on the wall especially if the wall receives a lot of light. Paint adiacent walls in different colours or shades to maximise space.





A good place to start is http://www.behr.com/behrx/workbook/index...


and I am not working for them , so be free to pick up any brand you want BUT STAY OUT OF THE CHEAP PAINTS !
Go with a neutral. Go to your paint store and grab a few of those paint chips. Find one that you like then use all the shades on that paint card. That will flow from room to room.
  • hair do
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment