Saturday, February 27, 2010

How to paint on swirled plaster walls?

All the walls and ceilings in my house (with the exception of the bathrooms and 2 kitchen walls) are a white swirled plaster. The texture and design is beautiful, but I am tired of the dull white plaster (they appear to never have been painted and remain in their original state). I'd like to know if they can be painted and what type of paint should be used. I do not want to lose the texture and I'm concerned that paint will just soak right in and be splotchy (the plaster seems quite porous). Does anyone have experience with this? I'd like to use color in the bedrooms and freshen the remainder of the house with white (the corners have become darkened from dust over the years). Thanks in advance!How to paint on swirled plaster walls?
I have this exact same textured plaster in my living/dining room, but mine had already been painted before I moved in. I used a regular flat paint from Glidden with a roller made especially for textured walls. When you shop for rollers, it will say on the package that it's for textured walls, or just ask the sales rep at the store.





As to your concern about it soaking in, use a primer first. That should seal it so that the paint will go on smoothly. Again, the rep at the paint store can help you choose the appropriate primer. I recommend Sherwin Williams.How to paint on swirled plaster walls?
Use a thick roller..apply slowly, the paint will not fill in the details you like. Use plenty of paint, dont roll out all the paint in the roller get more and keep going. Have fun

1 comment: