Thursday, February 25, 2010

What's the ';second'; best way to smooth rough paint on interior walls?

I say ';second'; best because I understand that sanding the wall smooth would be the best method. In my case sanding is out of the question in my condo for several reasons. First of all, the rough wall is about 40 feet long by 16 feet high. I would have to think the dust issue would be very difficult to control. Plus, I'm sure my neighbors would not appreciate all of the sanding noise no matter if I used an electric orbital or just a hand sander. My hope is that there is some sort of primer on the market that's capable of smoothing over the texture. Is there such a product out there?





FYI: The wall became rough and mottled due to a recent attempt at painting. I used Benjamin Moore white latex with a 1/2'; nap wool roller. I'm guessing the roller somehow ';pulled'; on the paint rather than laying it on smooth. I also have to wonder if I overloaded the roller with too much paint. Regardless of the reason, I'm very unhappy with the end result. By comparison the rest of the walls in the condo are as smooth as glass!





I would truly appreciate any creative advice that will help my situation. Thanks very much in advance!What's the ';second'; best way to smooth rough paint on interior walls?
my orbital has a dust bag that you can remove to hook up a vacuum. Hope this helps. If you just mis applied paint this may be the best bet.What's the ';second'; best way to smooth rough paint on interior walls?
I'm afraid you are out of luck here. Your best and really, only choice, is to sand.





To make the job go fast, you can use a pole sander. It really will not make that much noise, but you will have dust.





If you use any type of primer, it will cover everything (including the bumps and ';valleys';) with a coat of even thickness, so the end result might be marginally improved, but not 100% smooth.





Another option is to spackle the entire surface, but this would be a HUGE overkill and would require subsequent sanding, thus creating unwanted dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment