Saturday, February 27, 2010

Paint the ceiling a color - the walls white?

We have an 1890 farmhouse and we are trying to make it ';us';. I thought that adding some color would bring character to our bedroom. We have white walls and a currently painted white pannelled wood ceiling. I am going to be purchasing new bedding and will pick a minority color in the bedding to apply to the ceiling to focus room on the bed. I do not want to seem like we are wanna-be designers and the rest of our house is fairly ';normal';. We are trying to keep it with a slight antique feel but still every-day comfort and 21st century. Please advise whether or not you would think this would be a good move. It is scary doing things different because you never know what it will look like until it is done!Paint the ceiling a color - the walls white?
You mention painting the ceiling, but not the walls. If that is the case and the walls are to remain white, I would stay very subtle on the ceiling color. Use a lighter shade of one of the bedding colors as you have mentioned or maybe a light ';sky blue'; would work for the ceiling. This color was used in the past for ceilings although mostly for outside ceilings of a covered porch. If you are going to paint the walls, I would use a shade of the wall color such as 1/4 the wall color for the ceiling. Lastly, please yourself rather than others, as you are the one living there.Paint the ceiling a color - the walls white?
Hi Jen, lucky you to have an antique house!


I tried your idea once, though it was kind of extreme; I had a spare bedroom with putty walls and I painted the ceiling barn red. I really liked it for a while, but in 3-4 years it got to me, and I repainted everything; it made the room look dark and miniscule, and the ceiling appeared very, very low.


I like your idea, but if you do it, I'd definitely stick to a pale color for the ceiling, perhaps a pale yellow, or even better, a very light robin's-egg blue (which will have a sky-like effect.) A deeper color would be more dramatic, but in the long run, I think that, like me, you'll grow tired of it. If you want to introduce a dark color into the room, perhaps it could be in the form of a rug, lamp, toss pillow, etc.


Good luck!
  • mr skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment