Saturday, February 27, 2010

Can you paint that fake wood on basement walls?

I have a basement that we use for a toy room also as another place to watch tv. It has wood floors and a nice ceiling but has that fake wood on the walls. It is so dark and I hate it. I was talking about painting it to my father n law and husband but they say you can't. We can't afford to replace it with something else. Has anyone ever painted theirs and what kind of paint did you use?Can you paint that fake wood on basement walls?
You can absolutely paint it! It's called paneling. And I have done it many times! I think it's funny that your hubby and F-I-L said no. I have found that many men will think that way.





Make sure the paneling is clean before painting. Wipe it down with something like Painters Helper No Sand (can be purchased at any Home Improvement Center or hardware store). This particular product cleans, deglosses the wood and gives a better surface for the primer to adhere to.





Then use a thick quality PRIMER. Make sure it is a thick quality and not that runny stuff. I like to put on two coats. You will need a good brush as you may need to paint in between the lines and you will need a roller. After priming, then paint whatever wall color you want. I suggest you get a finish that has some sheen to it rather than a flat paint. One like eggshell can be wiped down since you have little ones using the room.





DO IT! It will look so much better! I promise, you will be so glad you did!Can you paint that fake wood on basement walls?
I have painted paneling! It turned out just fine! Besides if you painted it and it didn't turn out perfectly it still looks better than dark dingy paneling. If you go with a lighter color be prepared to do two coats or just buy a good quality paint. Good luck!
Fake wood? Do you mean panelling?





You can paint panelling. You'll need to use a primer first, as paint doesn't adhere to the shiny surface.
You can, but don't expect a sound job. It may be liable to chipping.
Clean it well. Sand it slightly then Prime it and then paint it. You will be happy with the results.
Just normal paint for a wall. It took me about 3 coats though.

No comments:

Post a Comment