Saturday, February 27, 2010

The interior walls of my house was colored white. Do I need to use primer before I paint it with another color?

You don't need to prime surfaces that have already been painted. The exception to that are well worn surfaces. Usually walls and ceilings are good to go.


One suggestion I will make is use a good grade of paint. You will be happier with the results.


If you want a paint you can wipe hand marks and smudges off, use at least a satin/eggshell finish.








.The interior walls of my house was colored white. Do I need to use primer before I paint it with another color?
A good paint job is mostly in the prep. It never hurts to prime. Priming seals surfaces so they accept paint uniformly and provides for superior adhesion. When transitioning widely between sheens or colors, it is always necessary to prime.





Perhaps your house has the common ';builder's white';. That's usually a cheap grade of flat sprayed on in one quick coat. If this is the case, you will find your walls are very porous and it will be best to prime. If using a dramatically different color, you can have your primer tinted. Just know that primers do not accept tints in the same way as paints do so when you look at your tinted primer, it will be a lighter version of the final coats...this is OK and not to worry. Tinting your primer is a good way to transition to color. One prime coat, two top coats always!


Good luck.





Best,


RoddThe interior walls of my house was colored white. Do I need to use primer before I paint it with another color?
It is usually recommended if you go from white to a very dark color such as dark red for example. However even if you are going from white to a dark color I recommend using Kilz brand paint. You can get it at Walmart. I have painted a lot of rooms and went from dark to light and light to dark and nothing beats Kilz paint at doing that without using a seperate primer first. It's all I use now. It's fantastic.





Here is a link to the Kilz Color palette and you can also get them to color match other colors if you want...


http://www.kilzcasualcolors.com/kcc/pale鈥?/a>
No, it is not necessary. Don't skimp on the paint and you should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment