Saturday, February 27, 2010

Is it still in style to paint the bottom and the top walls of a room, or hallway different colors?

Firstly, I want to thank those of you who advised me on my previous question, regarding painting my living room a sage color. It is painted now, and I love it, and goes very well with the brown furniture and fireplace. Now I am looking to do a long hallway in our ranch style, and fairly open house. I was wondering if it would be in vogue to paint the bottom half of the wall sage, (same as the living room), and the top half a creamy tan color, which I am also using to paint the kitchen and back entrance. And if so, I was wondering what to put in the middle to divide them. I know this 'divided-wall' style was popular a few years ago, but am not sure about now. I don't want to paint it, only to have my guests say 'yikes' when they walk in. :-)Thanks muchly in advance for any advice. You were all great with your help on my last question.Is it still in style to paint the bottom and the top walls of a room, or hallway different colors?
I think it would help the flow of all the rooms if you do this. You would have to put up a chair rail to divide it, though some ppl would use a wallpaper border.





But because it is a hallway you don't want it to end up looking dark. I would suggest going with the same color as the kitchen, except for making the paint a couple of shades lighter. This is where the wall paper border could come in handy. You could pull the various colors...the tan, sage, and whatever other colors into the hallway by using a border.





And don't worry about what's in vogue. Do what you like. Even if they say ';yikes!'; they don't live there. lol





Hope this helps. :)Is it still in style to paint the bottom and the top walls of a room, or hallway different colors?
I've seen them use chair rails a thin one, or moulding and i've seen just separated by the paint. They both look good to me. but you have to be comfortable with it. I think you picked good colors to use. So it depends on what you like, if you get the paint up and you think you need a divider go for it. I personally do not like wall paper borders. do what you like.
It is still very much in style. You can either divide the space with a molding (either stained or painted white) or just create a stripe effect using the two paints. Sage, cream stripe, sage stripe, cream.





As far as your guests go, don't worry about them. You and your family need to like it.
I think if you need to put in a chair rail if you are going to paint the bottom one color and the top a coordinating color. I would not do it in a ranch hallway because ranches usually have narrow hallways. You can do this treatment in any room in your house. I'd go with a monochromatic look in the hallway if you choose to do it. Good luck
  • mr skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment