Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Do i really NEED to prime my walls before i paint?

I am going from stone grey, pretty dark, to light beige.





Do i NEED to prme the walls? What If i do 2 layers of paint?





I only have one gallon of primer, it will go over all of the walls if I do it no too solid...like not totally so that it looks like i painted my wall white, but more like I did a really crappy white job. Of I spread it out over the whole wall evenly, then do you think It will be ok?





Do you even think that i need to prime if I do 2 really good coats?Do i really NEED to prime my walls before i paint?
its best to prime when going dark to light. You can not paint that evenly to cover up the grey and your light color will show streaks of dark through it. A primer is made to block and cover and paints are not.Do i really NEED to prime my walls before i paint?
I dont think so and if you have a problem use ONLY KILZ to get it right BUT if you buy GOOD paint that should do it, has for me, primer is a joke in my opinion, only needed when it more drastic, test it and see, wont hurt, good luck!
Hi. I never prime. I simply do 2 coats!
It's usually best to use a primer first..Often times skipping the primer will result in uneven color or streaks may show up..With primer you shouldn't need more than one coat of your color paint.
Use a primer but have it tinted to match the color you want to end up with. It probably won't be a perfect match but it will be closer than just a white primer. Primer is cheaper than regular paint unless you are using some really crappy paint. I'd recommend using Behr paint from Home Depot. It's reasonably priced and is generally one of the best ranked paints by Consumer Reports. I've used it several times and it's always worked well for me. Don't use Glidden. It's not much better than tap water.
definitely prime. 2 layers of a light colored paint will not cover up a dark paint. you will end up buying more paint. save the time and money(primer is cheaper than another gallon of paint). 1 gallon of primer or paint should cover 4 walls, floor to ceiling in a 10x10 room (1 coat) but it depends on the walls. have fun.
A primer is used to prepare the surface so regular paint will have good adhesion. Oil based primers won't raise the grain in bare wood or sheetrock/plaster like latex primers will, resulting in a smoother surface.


No primer + heavy coats of paint will just result in big sheets of paint coming off in a few years, depending on humidity.
If its a new wall, most definitely. Go to Home Depot or a paint store and ask

No comments:

Post a Comment